Image Map

8/21/2014

Blasting Off the Year with High Flying Ideas!

Do you need a few new ideas to spruce up your reading instruction?  Today is your day!  A few of my bloggie friends and I are celebrating the new school year with some tips and tricks we use in our own classrooms.  

Today, I am going to share a creative graphic organizer strategy that I like to use with informational text.  I am a big fan of graphic organizers and Thinking Maps.  I think they help with both comprehension and critical thinking skills.  

Two years ago, our 4th and 5th Graders took a Field Trip to NASA in Houston.  Although my 3rd Graders couldn't attend the field trip, there was a lot of buzz about all things NASA.  So, we studied Ellen Ochoa and made pencil rockets.  This is the graphic organizer we used. 
If you like graphic organizers as much as I do, you can stop by my TPT Store and grab this quick freebie.  

Jana at Thinking Out Loud has a great book suggestion for you!


6 comments :

Melissa said...

What a fun graphic organizer! Thank you for sharing!

Don't Let the Teacher Stay Up Late

Em Hutchison said...

What a super fun, engaging idea!! Thanks for sharing :)
Em

Mrs. Arentz said...

Oh my gosh, I love this crafty graphic organizer. I can definitely use it this year. Thanks!
Wendy
Read With Me ABC

Reading Is Elementary said...

I love putting a different spin on the KWL! Very cute!

Colleen Noffsinger said...

I just downloaded your freebie! I'll be putting it to great use. Thanks for sharing! ;)

Alpha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.